Friday, January 15, 2010

USA HOLIDAY

My family and I visited USA during the Xmas holidays. It’s my fourth visit and each time I came back, I acknowledge America’s position as the No. 1 Country in the world. Why do I say this? Firstly, they have a system and the system works for them. In most places, we work for the system.Secondly, they encourage diversity (backgrounds, beliefs and views).

This is clearly demonstrated in their education system. During my visit, I spoke to some 7-10 year old Malay children who only moved to a US school some 6 months ago.( Parents from Kg background) . They spoke good English and have so much knowledge. They can even talk about US politics with me, wow! In Malaysia, only kids from well to do families would have that kind of exposure. And the schooling is free!

In terms of beliefs, everything is on the table for all to see. The only downside to me as far as the “everything is cool attitude” is when it comes to religious and sexual orientation. As a Muslim, this is where I draw the line. Otherwise, I can’t fault them.

There is still a lot that we can learn from America.

No comments: